Thursday, April 26, 2012

X is for XXX


Listening to: Belly Dance music
Mood: Calm

This post will be slightly cheating. What do you expect? I can’t be brilliant all the time people.

Each of those X’s stands for a decade of my life that has gone by. I turned 30 this year. Since we were attempting to abscond from the country, my birthday passed quietly this year. I don’t remember feeling so much angst – because again, when you’re packing up shop to move half way around the world, a birthday isn’t going to be all that big of a thing, even if it is a big one.

I don’t feel 30. I feel somewhere around 26. It was a good year. One in which I finally started feeling like a responsible adult, even though I was married and had kids for a long time before that. It was the year when I finally came to grips with who and what I was and began to be confident about it. Really, things have only gotten better since then. I still have all of my hang-ups and issues, but they are now recognized as a part of me rather than something that I need to find, analyze and excise. It was a year when I started realizing that I was hungry to learn. I don’t mean to wax poetic about being 26, but it was a time that resulted in my being able to be who I am today, and I'm proud of where I've gotten to.

I hope to be able to add at least ten more of those Xs (and yes, I know that’s not how counting in Roman numerals works) before my life is done. Who’s afraid of being 30? Not this girl – talk to me in 10 more years and we’ll see.

Becky

No comments: